Wednesday 7 September 2011

Knitting things together..

Wake up to a sunnyish day, the clouds are moving fast overhead but there are patches of blue.

I bike to the road; on a bike that is too small. It’s much harder than on a smooth surface and I realise when it is too late to turn back that I’m wearing light trousers and the path is very muddy.

I arrive at the factory and I am given a tour. The first machine is a 90 year old machine, made by Bentley of Loughborough, a model B. It is an engineering triumph! Multiple cams, gears, and counters to control the patterns and rows. The modern digital machines seem soulless in comparison.


Later I meet with Richard and we look at various venues, there is an empty shop I really like. It would give me the opportunity to work quite large., and it has a great floor. The space in the Textile Tower is also good but there could be loads of problems to make my idea work.

I drive back as I pass a field, it is perfect, and the sheep tracks are highlighted beautifully by the sun. I hesitate and by the time I turn around and go back the light has changed and it just looks like an ordinary field.

When I get back I set out again and walk to Bald Hill, photographing flowers and thinking of colours and patterns. It is a sad ruin of a place.


Now I feel much more interest in the folder that Richard lent me about all the historical information he and Bridie have gathered. Now I see the significance of all the layers of history. I make some photocopies.


This is like the last outpost of times gone by – I think about going to the Kirk Yard but my camera is almost out of charge.

Later I walk over to Richard’s studio, the clouds are moving rapidly and the air feels heavy with potential rain. As I walk back to the caravan, there is nothing left in the sky but the remnants of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment