Friday 26 August 2011

Phenzhopehaugh

Travelled North through torrential rain; the journey seemed never-ending; a stop at the Service station took a 20 minute queue to get back on the Motorway. I stopped in Jedburgh for some food, saw a really impressive monastery ruin and found it was where Mary Queen of Scots had lived. I started thinking about how she had been under house arrest and had used embroidery to send secret messages out from her captivity, when under a seventeen year house arrest in England.

Eventually I arrived in Galashields and after 3 attempts found the venue for the opening. I met Richard and Bridie and saw Richard’s video ‘Mutus Floris’. An overwhelming journey through 5000 flowers photographed around the property at Phenzhopehaugh. It seemed to be an echo of my journey through the rain. 

Then a seemingly never ending drive though the darkness down tiny winding roads, we passed by darkened houses and even through a small town that appeared to be deserted. Then I got into Richard’s Land Rover and travelled another 10 minutes down a track, this involved opening and closing gates. I finally arrived at the caravan, completely unsure of what was around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment