Saturday 27 August 2011

Daylight

Waking and looking out of the window the view was as I had imagined it from the photos but the reality of it was so much more. My caravan looks out onto Kirk Hill, a pitted and sheep covered expanse of green.


I walk with Richard and Bridie and see the overwhelming need for Wellingtons!

The land is heavily treed by forestry. I’m intrigued by the rows and lines and order – a man made imposition of grids on to the undulating landscape.


We then go to the Ettrick show and I am struck by the sense of community, we have a tea and sandwiches.

In the evening I start to read “The Subversive Stitch” and an embroidery and needlework instructional book alternately, puzzling on how I can unite landscape and stitch, landscape and nature.

Everything is floating around in my head with no solid ideas – I decide to write the fragments of thoughts I have had on to sticky notes and arrange them on a wall.


I start with the things I can do – the end product, then put all my other thoughts down – trying to place them into some sort of logical order – a huge jigsaw puzzle with no picture.

I get a feeling of being completely overwhelmed by the hugeness of this place. I am nervous of its wildness – it is a huge contrast to Lincolnshire – where the landscape has a handmade quality, here the hands of humans seem distant.

No comments:

Post a Comment